Tuesday, 7 May 2013

Green Gifting: Puzzled







Rationale

Gifts are often given to a loved one or someone who is meaningful to us in our lives. Gifts in this day and age are mostly given for the sake of giving a gift to someone with not much thought or consideration being put into them, defeating the purpose of gift giving. A gift is designed to be a personal item that you know someone will personally love, therefore I aimed to provide a gift that each individual can make into his or her own and therefore form a connection with and want to keep for an extended period of time. The gift I decided to design is called Puzzled, it incorporates the aspect of two basic products, a photo frame and a corkboard, into a product that each individual can make into their own. This is achieved through the ‘puzzle’ aspect, as each frame is in the shape of puzzle pieces and individuals can mix up the pieces into whichever shape they prefer, pieces can then be added on as memories are built over time.
Puzzled can be aimed at a wide range of consumers, from families to couples to any individual. With society being so fast paced, and everyone’s life constantly moving and changing with new memories being made daily, the incorporation of a cork board for daily reminders and the growing aspect of the frame fit in well with the changes of todays society. With the aesthetic being very simple yet unique it can be molded to fit into any home through creating different shapes and sizes. Through creating a page of future shapes to be manufactured it will allow users many more options in creating the shape that they want making them want to grow there puzzle further.
The use of cork as my primary material strongly reflects on the aspect of it being a ‘green gift’, the use of the material plays a strong aspect in the function of the product as well as providing a renewable, sustainable and recycled product. Through using recycled cork that is collected by programs such as Girl Guides and Friends of the Zoo who set up collection bins across hotels, bottle shops and restaurants this can minimise the use newer cork. Although cork is still a renewable product it takes a lengthier amount of time to produce the bark from these trees than it does to renew and reuse already used cork which still contains the strength and durability from when it is first used. Due to the use of a sheet material it is possible to create a net so each of the puzzle pieces fit into each other, this is a strong point as it will minimize material and manufacturing waste, this creates the most efficient process for the production overall. 
            I believe through creating a product that relates to the changing lifestyle of society and aiding an emotional connection that can be continued out over a long period of time that puzzled would be an enjoyable gift for many individuals of todays environmentally concious society.

10 comments:

  1. Yet another well produced product Constance. I must admit at first I wasn't sure how this was going to turn out but i'm pleased to say it came out much better than I expected. In fact I could easily see this used as photo frames in numerous households, never has a photo frame been so interactive and fun. However, you know me, I must have some constructive criticism and if I was really going to point any negative sides out i'd say that your product poster should have been a little more diverse. It seems a little cluttered and I think you may have been able to get your point across in a simpler and hopefully more graphical way, just makes it easier to read. But that isn't such a major aspect because overall your design was very well done, you should be proud.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think your concept was very unique, incorporating the two elements of photo frames and a cork board into one. Your product was very well executed, and looks like a product I would buy and stick on my wall. Your rationale really justifies your design as well as your target market as 'new memories [are] being made daily'.

    I also like that your concept posters follow through with the theme of 'puzzles' however, there is a lot of text and seems a bit over crowded.

    Overall, I really enjoyed your work, it was aesthetic, used the material cork appropriately and your hero shot looks very professional. Remember to pick up Sarah at 1pm!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope Sarah was picked up at 1, Over all well done, if this project was to bring joy then I think you have succeed, when I saw your project it brought me joy!, Good model and good display, your rationale and process journal are also good and I like how the flow from your model also flows into the formatting, good job!, I would have liked some different color's but still, good work!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It’s modular, environmentally friendly and fun. What’s not to like? The design execution also looks really good and professional, I could see this in people’s homes already. Use use of cork also creates a natural home-like feeling, and the idea of pinning up notes onto it is really innovative. The rationale is cute how it continues the puzzle theme, but there is a lot of reading and it feels a bit full on. Overall, it looks great though. Two thumbs up from me!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Overall a well thought out design, implementing a recyclable and green material. This product adds to value gift criteria as it also provides a place to add photos and memorabila of family member whilst the ability to hang up important messages. Overall great model. Your rationale/posters a well thought out and designed with the consideration of the puzzle form which another great feature. I would of loved to see the exploration of shapes to provide a more intriguing form. Overall a great outcome, well done!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I absolutely love this idea - cork is such a raw material and has such a natural, pleasing aesthetic that this would make a great gift. The stock photos were my favourite part. There were certain places where the design could be improved, however - a thinner cork sheet for both layers would add to the minimalism of the piece, although I understand your concern about the 'honeycomb' aspect of the material. A clear, concise way to slide the photos/laminate sheet in and out would've helped too.

    (Also, putting a pushpin into a post-it note seems kind of superfluous. But who's paying attention to that?)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Constance, awesome design solution and gift idea. This outcome achieves on so many levels, it's aesthetically appealing, it serves a true function, is made of renewable long lasting material and most importantly gives the receiver options as to how they use the product. Because your products allows receivers to create they're own orientation for their photo display as well as add or subtract the amount of frames, it gives users a sense of emotional connection to the product, and makes them feel like they're designing the display. this subtle feature is what really makes your product stand out over it's competitors. You produced a nice, clean model, appropriate hero shots and effective communication poster. There is an issue of how multiple cork frames would be mounted on the wall, and the fact that string and hooks are involved may deter some potential buyers. Never-the-less a really nice outcome and solution to the brief.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Such a simple but clever idea. I like that your design is totally different from usual photo frame designs. The interactive nature of it is great and I especially like the concept of being able to add photos next to each other and group friends or family together. There is some really nice symbolism there. Cork is a great material to use both for environmental benefits and also for the character it offers visually. I wonder though if it would warp over time and whether some sort of harder backing might be worth consideration. Although understand that you probably want to keep the materials simple. Great idea, well done

    ReplyDelete
  9. A fun and functional green gift! I like the configurability of the piece. It builds modularity and expandability into the concept as well which is clever. It also presented really well in the studio in a way that made instant sense.
    Great work Connie.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Connie,
      Could I add an observation?

      I'm wondering if this product could be made more user-friendly by offering additional modules which will nest and align more accurately with a smooth continuous edge eliminating ledges and gaps? I thought that a template system could work, such as say, an A1 area which was then divided into jig-saw pieces. Users can then start with one piece and expand by purchasing adjacent pieces according to the template. Additionally, templates can be scaled up or down easily if they are CNC cut.

      Cheers.

      Delete