Tuesday, 4 June 2013






My main inspiration and necessity to design for this brief was my own personal experience with both playing netball and being a spectator. With a large amount of spectators and players coming down on a weekly basis and through surveying a portion of these individuals it gave me a better understanding of the needs of all users.

My main need was to add seating for both spectators as well as reserve players. This was due to people generally having to bring there own chairs down, on the floor which does not create much of a team atmosphere for the game overall. Through surveying the target market I discovered storage was also a large want as players bring bags down full of jumpers, spare balls, water bottles and valuables and these are all left on the floor unattended and in the way.  
With the space in between courts being minimal and these two functions in mind I needed to create a piece of furniture that would allow for viewing of both sides while also creating a barrier between the two games and this is where the storage section came about. 

The storage area is perforated to ensure that there is no water collection, and I wanted to ensure that the ends were not closed off as that would encourage a large amount of rubbish collection. 

The length of the seating also gave allowance for the umpires that run down the sides of the court. As each umpire only runs up one half and on opposite sides the seating placement allows for this to occur. This was my inspiration for the zig zag effect of the chairs across the area of the courts, these also act as a wind barrier as netball is a winter sport it creates a more enclosed area.

With netball being a sport that can be played from such a young age and their being young children around the necessity for curved edges for the safety of all is essential as well as it creating a better look overall aesthetically. 

Netball is a sport that is played all over the world, due to this there are standard measurements that are set out for all netball courts to follow. This works especially well for my design as it allowed me to create a piece of furniture that can be implemented in any setting worldwide. 

The material I have chosen to use for the final product is a HDPE called Plaspanel as it has properties that provide great durability such as not rotting, swelling, deteriorating and absorbtion. The non-stick surface is easy to clean, scratch resistant and is difficult to grafitti onto. The storage compartment would be a stainless steel mesh that would allow for the oerforation aspect of my design. 

6 comments:

  1. It was really great to see how you developed your concept these past few weeks and how you overcame issues and problems, as you were really passionate about the need to create seating units in netball courts. You argued this issue thoroughly in your rationale, and really drove home this message through your statistics gathered by interviews as well as drawing from your personal experiences.

    Onto your model, which I can go on all day about. It is so well made, it has such a clean and simplistic aesthetic and is so sturdy, I swear I could probably sit on it and it'd still be standing.

    I'm so happy for you Connie D!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Something I really appreciate about your final outcome is how precise and refined your model is. It reflects the renderings perfectly, so much that it almost looks like a photo rather than a 3D rendering. Another area you excelled in is your plans for production and implementation. The fact that you've shown ariel views of your locations with the designated locations for each bench, as well as the screw in legs (something more than a few people forgot about), highlights that you're looking further into the project than just the design. Well done, Constance!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This project is a very sensible idea, and i think it fills a need that is still yet to be addressed. The idea of having extra storage is excellent, and helps to make netball courts look more neat and tidy as well as clear the area between courts so it is easier to walk up and down. Also, using a mesh which allows water to drain out is smart thinking. the overall aesthetic of these benches fits in well with the sporty area and look comfortable and will provide an excellent place for spectators and coaches to sit and store their belongings.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have spent years of my life standing next to the sidelines of a netball court watching my sister play netball, and I was bored, If I had this bench/seat design I would have loved to attended more games and this is defiantly something that should be implemented in the real world. good work on your model and good work on the rendering.my one complaint is because its so close to the sidelines, what would happen if people fall and trip into them.?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really like the research and the detail you have put in. I think this is a very strong concept. The poster would look more realistic if you just photoshopped a picture of your finished model on the park. But the renderings are already impressive. Great job! keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete