Through watching these videos it has made
it clearer to me the extent of the process required for the whole production
and recycling process for material manufacturing. I found this information to
be a very useful, especially for anyone considering industrial design as a profession;
it made me aware of the different materials and the thought process of using
each material.
Although glass uses less energy to process
than metal and plastic, the energy required for transporting plastic is much
less and prevents accidents that happen with glass such as breakages, which
would waste time and money.
Watching these
videos has made me more aware of what happens to waste once it leaves our
homes, I was not so aware of where the actual wastage of things was left if it
could not be recycled. It also has made it clearer how aware of wastage and
recycling todays society has become in order to become more environmentally
friendly. The whole system of recycling
and managing waste continues to improve as our societies technology continues
to further advance as materials lifespan continues on till the end of the
lifecycle. The video made me visually aware of the process, I had known of some
of the processes but had never visually been able to understand how the system
proceeded.
The three
messages that I think I will most think about now when designing things are:
1. It is not only the production process that
affects the amount of energy used, it is the process of getting it onto the
shelves, getting it to the consumer and the maintenance of it till it is
needed.
2. The amount of different materials used in
production affects the recycling process and consideration of the
necessity of these different materials needs to be strongly considered.
3. The use of the different bins when
disposing of waste has a large impact on where material waste ends up.
No comments:
Post a Comment